Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Theory Craft Keeps Me Up At Night

So, I've got a problem. I've focused way too much on +Hit. It's been an obsession to the point of potentially lowering my dps. Why? No matter how many times I tell myself, my brain thinks that more hit = more crit. This would seem intuitive based on probability. Only, that's not how things actually work in WoW.

My brain says, "If I hit, then I have a chance to crit."

The game, however says, "You can miss, hit or crit as three distinct options."

I recently saw an illustration on the boards that goes something like this....

[----miss----][-----------------hit----------------][---------crit----------]
1-------------9------------------------------------75-------------------100

The topic was about animal handler lowering miss for pets, but the same still applies to my situation. The hit cap for hunters is currently listed as being right around 142. Tonight vs Solarian, I skipped my +hit food and ran w/ a hit rating of 124. I didn't miss. My crit rating for the fight was 26% (buffs) but stats show that I crit 20% of the time.

So, the question becomes, what's my happy middle? How much hit do I really need? The answer, admittedly, is I don't know. I really don't. I've put too much emphasis on hit and not enough on crit & attack power.

Then there's the part where I won the T5 shoulders from Void Reaver tonight and they had 13 hit. After struggling to stay over 120 hit rating for months, I'm at a base hit rating of 137. Yes, not missing is great. But, if my obsession w/ not missing is actually lowering my dps potential, then it's just that...a worthless obsession.

So, what to do now?

I'm getting 16 points of hit from multicolor gems. (They are generally cheaper than the single-color ones.) I could drop all 16 points and still have a 121 base hit. If I start finding myself missing, I can eat +hit food. But, chances are that I can still get more boost out of Agility food.

Sigh, I get one new item and I'm spending 100-200 gold in new gems. Ah well...what's epic flight? So what if I'm closer than I've ever been?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding Hit Rating.

I'm not sure how it is for Hunters. I know mages, not hunters. In general, the theorycrafting has shown that Mages use a 2 roll system for calculating hits and crits. I beleive it is the same for Hunters, but I don't know for certain. I've never seen the theory crafting.

[----miss----][-----------------hit----------------][---------crit----------]
1-------------9------------------------------------75-------------------100

That is the hit meter from your Journal. I'm guessing that reperesents a 9% miss chance and a 25% crit chance. This assumes a one roll system. Therefore an increase of say, 5% in crit would look like this....

[----miss----][-----------------hit-----------][--------------crit----------]
1-------------9-------------------------------70------------------------100

and a Reduction in miss chance by 5% would look like this.

[-miss-][-------------------------hit-----------][--------------crit----------]
1-----4---------------------------------------70------------------------100

The two factors are independent of each other. However, many people theorize that it's a two roll system.

With a two Roll system you roll to hit first an then roll to crit. So it looks more like this...

[----miss----][-----------------hit----------------------------------------]
1-------------9---------------------------------------------------------100

Then if you hit roll again..

[---------------------normal hit----------------][---------crit----------]
1--------------------------------------------------75-------------------100

So why does this matter?

Well to show that lets use easy numbers. Lets say 10% miss chance and 20% crit.

On a one roll system, on 100 shots, you shoould have, 10 misses, 70 normal hits and 20 crits. Easy right?

However, on a two roll system you have to first roll to hit. So how many of the 100 shots hit? 90 of them. Now of those 90 hits, how many Crit? Well 20% of 90 is 18. So under the two roll system I have 10 misses still, but now I have 72 normal hits and 18 crits. Overall crit rate for 100 shots... 18%

Now if I lower my miss rate.. to say 5%, well now I hit with 95 shots ut of 100 and 20% of them crit or 19 crit. So I have in 100 shots, 5 misses, 84 normal hits and 19 crits. Increasing my hit rate also increases my crit rate.

I know this is how it works for mages. (People have done tests to show it which I'd be happy to explain if you like) I don't know if this makes things clearer for you or not, but I hope it helps.

Anonymous said...

Correction: 76 Normal hits, not 84.

LRNs said...

This is not how it is being described in the hunter forums. According to those forums, if I shoot 100 times and have a 25 crit rating, I will average 25 crits no matter what my hit is.

If this is true, then there's a balance point where hit and crit ride for a player. Thus making it better, depending on my base dps, to choose more crit over more hit.

Thus, the conflicting data continues.

The point is moot, however. With a 124 hit rating, I've only seen a 0.05% miss once...I believe it was against Mags or one of the world bosses.

I need more focus on some other things.

BATYMEN said...

You've got your theorycraft a little off. it's 76-ish hit rating to never miss a level 70 target (assuming 350 defense on the target, so not warriors/pallys). The default hit chance for ranged weapons with 350 weapon skill is 95%. The 140-ish number is to never miss a BOSS, which are calculated to be level 73 by the game.

For PVP, I'd replace about 25 of your hit rating with +crit. And yes, I'm pretty sure Hunter hits are calculated using a 1-roll system, at least white damage.

LRNs said...

Good data Alec,

Since my entire game-life revolves around raiding & boss fights, I focus on hitting them.

Thanks