Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Guild Loyalty

TKC recently commented on my recent post Building A Raiding Guild: View from the Cheap Seats. Now, Dear Abby I am not, but I felt a plea for help in this comment. So, here we go...

The guild I am in is having a similar problem. We are a small guild and consider ourselves to be a 'casual' raiding guild. The core of the guild is solid but the problem is that it is just not big enough to progress. We have troubles filling out 10 man raids. We can't get more people because we can't progress. We can't progress because we don't have enough people.

So an idea was hatched to get the core people into a bigger guild (one in which we know a lot of the people) and leave the current guild a social/leveling guild. I, for one, am for this idea. However, there could be a problem for me. It has to do with my real life schedule. I can't raid on weeknights because that is when I work. If we try to move into a bigger guild I may not get the invite due to an inability to do weeknight raids.

So I am kind of stuck. I want to show some loyalty to the guild. I wouldn't be where I am without them. On the other hand, I might have to find myself a late night guild if I don't get the invite to the bigger guild.

Oh well. Any ideas?


This is tough situation. It's more than just a question of guild management but personal needs. And that's got to be where my response has to focus. So, here's the question for TKC and for the rest of you: Why do you play?

Do you play for the social aspect, the challenge of end-game raiding, PvP, or a little of all of them? No answer is right or wrong.

You see, at some strange place, potentially bordering on unhealthy, rests the game of WoW. How much time a person can and should invest in it is a personal decision. The ramifications of that decision can mean the difference between a healthy social life or a healthy set of raid gear. Again, no answer is right or wrong.

Your little guild placed progression over the social aspect when it decided to join up with the larger raiding guild. The decision to honor social relationships remained, but it was not the core focus. If it's OK for them, why isn't it OK for you? I see no reason why you can't honor your social relationships and join a different raiding guild that fits your needs.

Again, the question: Why do you play? If your primary objective is social, then keep your tune in the social guild and learn to PvP or something. If your primary objective is to raid then you need to find a new raiding guild that fits your schedule. If your little guild is really worth the loyalty you've shown, then they should even be helping you find a better fit.

I hope this post helps. Good luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the response.

I mostly play for the fun. For me, the fun of the game is progression. I'm looking for new challenges. When the 2.3 content patch came out I was as happy as a bug in a rug. I just happened to have 30ish level warlock and questing around the improved Dustwallow marsh was great fun.

The only way to get to new content at 70 is to raid. I do the PvP thing but it is not something I want to do all the time.

The plan to roll into a bigger guild is still only a plan. I'm not sure if it is going to happen. Obviously, the bigger guild is going to have to decide if we are worth it. If they say no then we are stuck in the same old boat: not enough people to progress.

My greatest hope is that the bigger guild does have a late night crowd. If they don't, or if we don't fold into them, I might end up leaving a guild I really like anyway. We are stalled and we know it but nobody wants to break up what we have.

So I guess I'll just have to make up my mind about what I want to do.

Thanks again for your thoughts on the topic.

Anonymous said...

One thing that helped our guild when we were looking to get more people to progress is that various people who knew some of our officers in game wound up leaving their guild with several friends and joining ours. It was a huge infusion of talented, fresh new members and it brought some enthusiasm we had be missing. After a little bit of work on Gruul's and Kara while we rounded out our numbers and got used to raiding together, we've been doing great ever since.

If this larger guild doesn't take your smaller group, you can always move with your friends to another smaller guild looking for more raiders. You guys get a great new home, and stay together, and another guild gets the fresh life it needs to really start locking and loading.